miércoles, 28 de julio de 2010

Marcus J. Austin


Marcus J. Austin


From the moment you hear the confidence in “All Ready” you know that Marcus J. Austin already believes in himself more than you can ever hope too. A college graduate, self proclaimed gifted, articulate, and good looking person, who in his own eyes is already successful. So how does this translate into songs? Surprisingly good, usually hyperbole of this nature can be a detriment, but it’s the honesty in his words and voice that make his soul music so endearing.

Cody Blevins


How did you started with your music career?
I grew up in a musically gifted family as a young child. Therefore, music has always been an important part of my life. The importance of music can be traced back to piano, drum, and brass instrument lessons in my adolescent and teenage years. In addition to the instruments, I also developed vocally by participating in church choirs and school vocal groups. I never knew that such a strong foundation would add to my musical growth and development now, however, it has paid enormous dividends.

My technical and studio recording experiences began at Rutgers University. It was while attending school I was able to invest in studio time to learn and develop a musical style and experiment with different music genres. Additionally, I also was able to perform and share original material with my fellow academic colleagues.


What's the message to transmit with your music??
The message that transmits through my music is “Art Reflects Life”. In this message, you not only find the feelings of life’s current and past realities, but also the hopes and dreams that reflect what the future could, should, and might hold. Life can be complex and also simple; therefore, the goals of my music are to combine melodic harmonies and powerful lead vocal composition to tell stories of love, happiness, hurt, and pain.


What's your method at the time of writing a song??
As a producer, songwriter, and singer, my process generally starts with creating the track or instrumentation for the song. This process typically begins with listening to past and current music greats including Jimi Hendrix, Al Green, Bobby Womack, The Police, and Prince. In listening to these iconic figures, it allows me to find inspiration and direction into what I would like to hear and sing. The next step would be to create the actual track and music. Once the creative process of production is done, then the songwriting and vocal arrangement details are put together. It is in this stage I tap into personal, social, political, and economic experiences that I’ve seen, read about, or lived through. In using that approach, it allows me to connect my soul and deep feelings with the general public.

Usually, depending on what time of day or what’s currently taking place will assist me in shaping the specifics of what I would like to express. Once the writing and vocal arrangement is completed, then the final step would be the actual recording of the track and vocals together.


Which is your music influences??
I have so many musical influences that it would be tough to name them all. However, some of my favorites include Ms. Kim Burrell, Mr. Jimi Hendrix, Mr. Bobby Womack, The Police, Prince, Mr. Gino Vannelli, The Gap Band, George Clinton and The Parliament, and Mr. Bob Marley.


What plans do you have for the future??
I am currently getting ready to release my debut EP project, “The Love Inn: You’ve Been Waiting” in September. Additionally, I’m continuing to promote my debut mix tape, “The Buzz: Heart-Breaker” which can be downloaded off my website, www.marcusjaustin.com, for free. Lastly, I am preparing to put the final touches together for a concert series where I’ll be traveling and performing at several venues and locations to promote my EP project. Please stay tuned to www.marcusjaustin.com, for performance schedule updates, video footage, articles, and other music related items.


Which has been the funniest prank you have been or took part while on tour or after a show??
This is an interesting question. But if I told you, then that would mean that I would not be able to do it again. I guess you might just have to wait and see. You might be my next victim.


If you guys were stranded in the middle of nowhere after a show or while on tour. The help is 65 miles away from where you guys are, ¿Who would you guys send to look for help? And if while the rest wait, there's no food and the only way to feed yourself is by eating each other, ¿Who would you eat first?
I am a solo artist, so at the end of the day, I would have to be responsible for whatever happens in order to save myself. Someone told me a long time ago, that you don’t need any help sinking your own boat, therefore, be responsible for your own success and failures. It is in those times you learn the most and develop for bigger opportunities in the future. I’m not so excited about the idea of eating myself to survive; therefore, either finding a way or fasting will be the only option in this stranded island equation.


Which country you guys would love to play?
I would love to play in the United Kingdom. It is my understanding that their music market really appreciates and supports house, international, and soul music flavor. Those influences fit right into the demographic and market that much of my music appeals to.


With which bands you guys would love to share stage??
I would love to share the stage with Lenny Kravitz, Nas, Sting, and Prince.


Are you OK, with the direction the band is going actually?
I am feeling great about the direction that I’m headed. In being an innovator of Eleck-tro-Soul, it definitely gives an accurate reflection of who I am as an artist, producer, and songwriter. Additionally, I’m am also looking forward to continuing to develop and grow from where I’m at to something even bigger and better.

Check out more from Marcus J. Austin by going to: http://www.myspace.com/marcusjaustin

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario