sábado, 9 de octubre de 2010

Jon Samson



Hey Jon, Congrats for the award! Tell us about your music..
I make alternative music for families!! As a music therapist and producer, I communicate universal themes through catchy songs.
With influences such as Beck, Bjork, Radiohead, Lou Reed and others, I produce childrens' music with all the creativity I can muster to reach a high level of artistic integrity.

How did you get started with all this??
When I was doing my undergrad in studio composition, I met a professor named Joel Thome. He was told he'd never walk again, and after music therapy with analytic MT Benedikte Scheiby (my teacher in the future) Joel still walks around campus and continues to teach at SUNY Purchase.

I used to drive him in from NYC while he was still recovering. Since he had won a Grammy for his productions, I also took the opportunity to play him some analog 4 track recordings I was making. He gave me great encouragement! And this is back when I would make post techno love ballads with white noise and static for percussion. I never imagine I'd be making childrens' music. But once I realized music therapy could help me to integrate my love for music and curiosity about healing and consciousness, I applied for the masters program at NYU. I didn't realize what I was getting into, or that it would become my life path.

I started my private music therapy practice out of my recording studio in Brooklyn in 2005.  Four years into my practice, I produced my first "Kids Album." A year after its release, three of the songs were nominated as finalists by the ISC (International Songwriting Competition), one of which took first place. A year later I released "Another Kids Album" which has just received an honors award from National Parenting Publications. The intention in sharing this does not involve bragging, but rather, conveys a message: Do what you do best and then the rest happens automatically...or not, in which case that's fine too! Since I spend most days of the week running my practice, I don't have a lot of time for doing PR and actively getting my music out there. So fortunately one of the radio stations turned Parenting Magazine onto AKA (Another Kids Album) and I got a couple spots in Time Out NY Kids. 

What's the message to transmit with your music??
Express. Create. CoCreate. Collaborate.

What's your method at the time of writing a song??
 Three years ago a 5 year old came into my music therapy room and asked if we could make a song about a conductor.
Funnily enough, that's the one that won the ISC. But that's just one example. Sometimes I'll just sit on a subway when I'm heading somewhere and noodle on my baritone ukulele until I find something cool to sing to.

What plans do you have for the future??
I plan to make a "grown up" album, a third kids album, and produce music for others. I'll also continue to give professional lectures as well as perform. 
I love performing!

If you were stranded in the middle of nowhere after a show, and help was 65 miles away from where you and your band are, Who would you send to look for help? And if while the rest wait, there's no food and the only way to feed yourself is by eating each other,  who would you eat first?
Well, I'm sort of the band leader, so I think it would only be fair if I was the one who walked the 65 miles (and didn't stay behind to get eaten).

Which country would love to play in?
South Africa! I grew up there, yet haven't ever quite performed there (yet?)

With which bands you would love to share a stage??
It was awesome playing with Gustafer Yellowgold a while back, and would love to again. But I'd also kinda like to team up with the Dirty Projectors or Modest Mouse.

Are you OK with the direction the band is going actually?
I'm actually very fortunate to be playing with some exceptionally talented musicians. No complaints!




Check out more: www.cocreativemusic.com

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario