lunes, 27 de septiembre de 2010

Wayne Stoddart



How did you get started with all this?
I was born in Kingston Jamaica and migrated to Kinloss, Trelawney a more rural area in Jamaica. Away from the hustle and bustle of Kingston, there really wasn't very much to do in Trelawney. I literally grew up in the church since most of the events, entertainment and activities were organized through the church.

It's hard not to become engrossed in music when music is all around you. When I was in elementary school, I think it was grade 4, I performed a famous pop song in front of the class, singing and doing the dance moves. I remember the cheers from the crowd. I remember how it felt to have the connection with an audience. After that day, I knew the stage is where I belonged. Steve and I created the "Stoddart Brothers" and started singing and performing together.

Most days I could be found in the hall at Haddington New Testament Church of God where I learned to play 4 instruments: drums, keyboard, bass and guitar. Like most artists, my love for music was sparked at a young age. My father had a wide collection of music, everything from Gospel to R&B, Rock n' Roll to Jazz and of course Reggae - you name it he had it. But with the good memories there also came some hardship. When I was 13 and my brother Steve was 14, my father migrated to the United States for a better life. Despite this change and without parental supervision Steve and I finished high school and graduated. We were determined not to let external circumstances that we couldn't control, control us. I've lived in a number of places while growing up including the Eastern Kingston ghetto and Vineyard Town. All of these experiences have added to the content in my music, if you listen carefully you can hear what I experienced and learned growing up.

What's the message to transmit with your music?
All my songs come from my experiences and what goes on around me on a day to day basis. They are either praise or testimony of God’s goodness towards me or just simple day to day things that we encounter.

The experiences of my environment have lead to lyrics of comfort, encouragement and upliftment for the oppressed and depressed in our society.
When I write songs, I communicate my innermost feelings and desires to God. I believe in the expression and ministry of documented original music. It offers an opportunity for generations to appreciate your and learn from my experience and testimony. Like David, the musical prophets today need to write the psalm so present and future generations can be uplifted and encourages by it.

What's your method at the time of writing a song?
All of my songs usually start from a simple chorus that conceives in my spirit and then I create the verses around that inspired chorus. It’s kind of like writing a poem around a simple theme.

Which is your music influences?
Lots of influences: Bob Marley and the Wailers, Jimmy Cliff, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Marvin Gay, Curtis Mayfield and The Impressions, Michael Jackson, Kirk Franklin to name a few

What plans do you have for the future?
I am currently in the studio working on my new album. This time around we are videoing the entire album recording sessions so our fans can experience the creative process. We anticipate a worldwide tour for the next project.

If you were stranded in the middle of nowhere after a show or while on tour. The help is 65 miles away from where you and your band (If any) are, ¿Who would you send to look for help? And if while the rest wait, there's no food and the only way to feed yourself is by eating each other, ¿Who would you eat first?
I would send Alaina for help she very reliable and she is a good distant runner… Cannibalism is not an option we would sit hold hands and chant a prayer and remain on fasting until manner falls from heaven J

Which country you would love to play?
Africa and Europe… I’d love to perform throughout Africa to connect with the people of the motherland …and Europe because they are a very intelligent market to roots rock reggae and have great appreciation for the genre.

With which bands you would love to share stage?
I would love to share stage with Bob Marley and the Wailers, U2 and Kirk Franklin. I do realize Bob is no longer with us but I can but I can still wish J

Are you OK, with the direction the band is going actually?
Totally! Combining Reggae with the Gospel message is perfect it’s the world’s most spiritual music being combined with the message of truth... To carry this message is an honor. There is nothing else I would rather do at this point in time.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario