lunes, 27 de septiembre de 2010

Yussef Black




How did you get started with all this??
I guess you can say I was born into this. My mother use to be a radio deejay and I would always be at the radio station with her when we didn't have a babysitter. We just had a lot of records and music upon music. It also helps that my uncle taught himself the piano and several of my other relatives have been or are involved in music.
What's the message you want to transmit with your music??
The real message is to be real with one's self. You can write songs about what you do not have or about money and to me, its fake. I pour my heart and soul into my music and my songs. I would love to project a message of conscious and awareness similar to the hip hop of the late 80s and early 90s era. Most of the time I write whatever the beat tells me too...

What's your method at the time of writting a song??
I can usually write if I have a specific topic in mind then I search for that perfect beat, even if it means making it from scratch. Often times I find myself freestyling and constructing whole songs in my head. I do not freestyle because I have a speech impediment and usually I get tongue tied trying to get my thoughts and words to match up. So I just write down what comes into my head and use it for later. Some songs come to me in bits and pieces and I have to put them together like a puzzle. My most enjoyable way is finding the perfect beat and letting the song write itself.

Which is your music influences??
Influences...hmmm. Well there's blue and jazz. I listen to a lot of 70s and 80s music. I guess if I have to name a few...Billy Joel, Kurtis Blow, Rakim, Krs One, A Tribe Called Quest, Run DMC, Kool Moe Dee, LL Cool J, Pete Rock CL Smooth, Gangstarr, Kool G. Rap, Heavy D., Nas, Public Enemy, NWA, Wutang Clan, 2pac, and Biggie....I came from that era, and that's just a few that came to mind. All music has had an influence on me.

What plans do you have for the future??
I would really like to go back to grad school and get my JD and MPA. Don't get me wrong, I love music and I want to do this full-time as a career, but I also want to be prepare in case that does not pan out. You know what I mean.

Which has been the funniest prank you have been or took part while on tour or after a show??
I don't think I can recall any incidents or pranks...lol!

If you were stranded in the middle of nowhere after a show or while on tour. The help is 65 miles away from where you and your band (If any) are, ¿Who would you send to look for help? And if while the rest wait, there's no food and the only way to feed yourself is by eating each other, ¿Who would you eat first?
I have AAA and my phone has GPS...lol! J/k....that would not happen because I am my mom's only child and if I didn't check in with her, she would have the National Guard out looking for me....lol

Which country you would love to play?
I would love to do a show in Japan or Germany! 

With which bands you would love to share stage??
I would love to share the stage with The Black Eyed Peas, Jay-Z, Eminem, Nas, Wu-tang, Krs One, Rakim, or Public Enemy

Are you OK, with the direction the band is going actually?
Yes and no, I am fine with the direction I am going, but it is very hard for me to get exposure without a manager and team in place. So I end up doing everything on my own and a lot of doors to shows and festivals get closed in my face. I have been currently trying to reach out to network with different artists and promoters, in a few cases it has paid off. I am confident with my new album dropping that I will receive a bigger buzz for 2011.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario